23 September 2013

A Fabric Baby Book DIY


I'm so excited to share this DIY with you today! I had a lot of fun making it and the most important thing is that Hazel absolutely loves playing with it and 'reading' it.
At first I thought this was a super ambitious project for a Sunday night, I had a few naysayers ((read- husband)) but I was determined and slammed this baby out by 12:30 am... Not too shabby, right guys?
You can totally make this! I promise. All you need are some basic sewing skills and a few supplies!
So let's do it!
Supplies:
5 or 6 different fabrics of your choice ((of course to make it easy
you could always use the same fabric throughout)) I used 5
Sewing machine
Thread
Heat and Bond Fusible batting ((I got this at Walmart, it was quite thin))
Fabric printer sheets 'cotton' (( I got this at Michaels. It's kinda pricy so bring a coupon!))
Printer & Computer
Other notions to decorate as you wish

Alright friends, are you ready?
First things first. Make a paper mock up of your book. Write out what fabric you'll use and what pictures will go where. This is SUPER helpful! Even though I had a mock up I still made an error and poor 'Dada' got out at the back of the book.... Whoops sorry babe. So keep that mock up close. Remember that the pages you are working on, except the centre page, won't be beside each other when the book is complete.
Now print out all of your pictures and text. Make sure you do a test to see which way your printer prints. Make a mark on the top page of a pain sheet of paper, send the through the printer and you'll know which way your printer feeds.
The fabric sheets have a paper back which you will peel off before sewing.
Next, Cut out 6 pieces of fabric 15 inches long by 8 inches wide.
Position your picture of choice for your cover page on the right side of your cover fabric

Pin!!! Don't skimp of the pinning!! I HATE pinning but I'm tellin ya... This is a project that you have to pin! I skimped on pinning a couple of times and I paid for it ((at least my final finished product perfectionism paid for it))
Now sew! I did a wide zig zag stitch on all photos and just a straight stitch on the name tags.

Sew all of the pictures and text where you want them and add embellishments as you like! I had some lace and ribbon and ric rac that I added. I didn't spend too much time on this, but would do more if I did this project again and had more on hand. ((Some buttons would be super cute... But maybe that's getting into quiet book territory))
Ok now let's make Page One ((which includes the front a back cover, inside front and inside back))
Next get out your Heat and Bond fusible batting. This stuff rocks my world. I used to be afraid to use batting but this stuff makes projects soo easy peasy. ((Not a sponsored endorsement I actually just love it))
Cut the batting to size and iron it on the 'wrong' side of the front and back cover page
((follow your mock book template!!))

Next take your inside page and lay it, right sides facing, on top of the front cover page ((not facing the batting))
It will look like this

Pin everything together and sew around the outer edge leaving a hole on one side to turn your work.
I rounded my corners because I thought that would look cute!

After you've sewn it, it's good to cut around the page with pinking shears which will reduce the 'bulk' of your page when you turn it.
Now turn it inside out. And push out the corners ((closed sicssors work well if your hand doesn't fit))

Finish the page by sewing a top stitch ((fancy way for saying sewing it all together from the top)) all the way around your page, you should also tuck in and iron ((If you like)) the hole you left to turn it inside out. When you do the top stitch this will close the hole.

Repeat these steps to complete your second and third pages.
It's time to bind your book!
Lay the pages down as if your were opening a book to the middle. First, second then the Third page on top.
Then simply stitch two straight lines down the centre of the pages about a half and inch apart.

Voila! Your book is complete!


Here is my book from start to finish.








Hazel absolutely loves looking at the pictures and she was kissing the book ((mostly pictures of herself haha)) and waving at the pictures of Grandma and Grandpa. Pretty sweet.

So what do you think??

Please please let me know if you make one of these! I would absolutely love to see it! :)


I'll try to answer any questions or comments below!

Happy Crafting!


20 comments:

  1. Love this! I want to make one now! Roughly how long did this take you to make? 5-6 hours? I made a shutterfly family book for my son but I like fabric idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shannon! You can totally do it! I started printing the pictures around 4 and finished about 12 am... Plus had dinner, put baby to bed, spend time with hubs in there so yeah, probably a solid 4-5 hours. Maybe 6? So glad you like it! If you make one be sure to let me know I would absolutely love to see it!

      Delete
  2. Ok - this is beyond ADORABLE!! I was just about to make my daughter a plain old photo album of family pictures, but this is a million times better!! If only I knew how to sew.....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy! I sure you could do it! Really just basic sewing skills needed! Straight stitch and zigzag!

      Delete
  3. All I can say is WOW!!!!!! Amazing Hannah - what a talent you have :)

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marta! You're the sweetest! It's not a very difficult project really! I hope some people are able to make one too with this tutorial! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I am def gonna have to make one of these for evie!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much!! I don't know how to se w yet but my Mom does and loves making stuff for my little man :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! This brought back memories; I used to make similar albums when I was younger! I haven't made one in years. They are so much fun to make! I really have to get back into it! Thank you so much for linking up to The PINcentive Blog Hop! Happy Friday and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    croppedstories@gmail.com
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! I hope you can drop by sometime! Those litte ones love soft books. Visiting from @DearCreatives Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's me again; I'm back :o) Guess what? You were chosen a winner of The PINcentive Blog Hop! CONGRATS! We'd love to have you co-host our next hop and choose our winner! Your post will also be featured this week and it will be pinned a minimum of 31 times! Please contact me to discuss further. I look forward to hearing from you :o)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    croppedstories@gmail.com
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book with the pictures...i made one for my baby with shapes and he isn't interested...please come link up today im cohosting a link party at http://www.thechildatheartblog.com/2013/10/tell-me-tuesday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! This is so so fun! I am super impressed with your creating skills!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hannah @ Joyful LifeNovember 01, 2013 11:52 am

    Thank you so much Nicole! this project really isnt too hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just finished my baby book. Can't wait to give it to my grandson. thank you so much posting this. It was super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the way you put this all together, I am going to use this as a guide to sewing the book together but with a twist, I am using black heat transfer vinyl to make coloring book pages, I am going to make my grandkids each one for Christmas and will include the fabric wash out markers, so they can color the book, mom can wash the book and they can start all over again. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing, I love it so much! I'm starting this project as a Christmas gift for my son.

    Question! ...can you please explain the batting a bit more? I'm new to sewing and I'm not very familiar with this stuff. Are you using it between every page? Do you iron it to the inside of one page, do the inside out sewing the pages together, then iron both pages together so they're both stuck together with the batting? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Krystal! Im so glad you are making one of these for Christmas! My daughter still plays with hers and she is 2 now! :) Ok lets see if I can answer your questions!


    Ok so I used Heat and bond iron on batting. I found it at WalMart and it made this project so easy for sure. I hate having to pin batting! So make all of your pages first, sew on pictures, and any embellishments that you want. Remember that two 15x8 peices will technically make one page. So I only used 3 pieces of batting. When you have two pieces completed (make sure you make and follow your mock up book of the order of pages) Essentially you are going to make a sandwich with the batting in the middle. Iron the batting on to the back of one of the finished 15x8 pages, then flip it up so the batting is on the bottom, with your ironed on page facing up and then place the other 15x8 completed page right side down on top. There is a picture above showing this. Then sew around leaving an opening and turn and topstitch. I hope that makes sense!! Let me know if you have any more questions and I will check back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hannah! So batting is filling that is only ironed on to one inside piece, not both? OK, thank you! Very helpful! Can't wait to start... time to pick the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1